We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.
          Trade plates: a new design

Motoring News

Latest NewsAll NewsArchived NewsOdd News

Latest Motoring News
Vehicle safety recalls: November 2017...
Driving instructor qualifying test changes: December 2017...
What weve done to make sure the new driving test is accessible for everyone...
Changes to the driving test (Dec 2017)...
Bus lane cameras make £31m in a year for councils...
View All News
Trade plates: a new design
Tax disc holders have been removed from trade plates

If you use trade plates, please continue to display your current plate as itís still valid. Youíll only need to request a new plate if itís been damaged.

DVLA will start to issue the new style trade plate once existing stock has been used.

Trade licence plates can save you time and money if youíre in the motor industry - you wonít have to register and tax every vehicle temporarily in your possession.

You need to apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for a trade licence to be able to use trade plates.

Who is eligible

You can apply for a trade licence if youíre either a motor trader or a vehicle tester.

Motor traders

This includes:
##dealers, manufacturers and repairers of vehicles (including those involved in collection and delivery)
##manufacturers of trailers
##valets and accessory fitters

Vehicle testers

Youíre eligible if you test other peopleís vehicles on public roads.

How to apply

Trade licences last for 6 or 12 months and expire on 30 June or 31 December. First-time applicants can get 7 to 11 month licences.

Download and complete the form you need:
## VTL301 to apply for your first trade licence
## VTL305 to renew your trade licence
## VTL308 to surrender your trade licence (refund of duty)
## VTL310 to apply for a duplicate or replacement trade licence (or plates)


Source: https://www.gov.uk/trade-licence-plates

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+       Copyright © 2004 - 2013 UKMOTORISTS.com. All rights reserved