We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

Updating and Applying for a licence


Renewing your driving licence at 70 plus

Your driving licence entitlement will expire when you reach the age of 70 and if you want to continue to drive, the entitlement will need to be renewed by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

How to renew your driving licence entitlement at the age of 70 and over

If you are a paper driving licence holder you will be automatically sent a D46 and D750 reminder application forms 90 days before your 70th birthday from the DVLA. You must complete these application forms ensuring that all the relevant questions are answered. You will need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity and a passport style colour photograph.

If you are a photocard driving licence holder you will only be sent a D46 reminder application form 90 days before your 70th birthday. You must complete the D46 application form ensuring that all the relevant questions are answered but there will be no need to enclose any identification or photograph.

If, however, your name has changed since your last licence was issued you must complete the D1 application form (available from most Post OfficeŽ branches), along with the D46. You must also enclose original documentation confirming your change of name. There is no need to supply a new photograph. There is also no fee required for these applications.

What to do if your forms are not received

If, for any reason, you do not receive the reminder application forms to apply for your driving licence, you can use the D1 application form, which is available from DVLA form ordering service, and Post OfficeŽ branches.

Where to send your completed application forms

Send your completed application with your paper driving licence or photocard driving licence with the D740 paper counterpart to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AA or you may be able to use the Post OfficeŽ checking service.

DVLA aim to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It might take longer if we have to check on your health or personal details. Please allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Can I drive before my licence is returned?

Once the DVLA has received your valid application, the law allows you to drive before the licence arrives as long as:

Further Information

You must tell the DVLA if you have ever had, or currently

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited