What is the MOT scheme?Your MOT certificateWhen to MOT your vehicleAre you satisfied?MOT test feesFind Your Local MOT CentreHow to recognise an approved MOT garageWhat does a garage look at during an MOT test?
What is the MOT scheme?
The MOT test is there to ensure consistent standards. The scheme is monitored by Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and includes:
- supervising the 19,000 garages authorised to carry out MOTs
- documenting all test methods and standards
- documenting standards of facilities, equipment, repute, experience, competence, qualifications and administration of those carrying out MOT testing
- providing training of authorised examiners (AE) & nominated testers (NT)
- providing training in test methods and administration, to those involved in the MOT testing scheme (whose standards are agreed with the Department for Transport)
- ensuring standards for testing and conditions of appointment for AEs and NTs are set
- authorising MOT test stations and NTs
- checking testing standards are maintained
- taking disciplinary action against AEs and NTs who fail to meet the required MOT testing standards
- dealing with appeals and other complaints from MOT customers.
These functions are undertaken by VOSA on behalf of the Secretary of State.