We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
Reporting an untaxed vehicleThe DVLA wheelclamping schemeWhat if I do not tax my vehicle

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN) online

What if I do not tax my vehicle

If you are or become the registered keeper of a vehicle, you must ensure that the vehicle is licensed or a SORN declaration has been made. If it is not, you could face a fine and further penalties.

Under the system of continuous registration (CR), which commenced in January 2004, it is not necessary for your vehicle to be sighted on the public road for an offence to have been committed. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) now has the authority to carry out enforcement action against the registered keeper directly from information held on the vehicle licence records.

What could happen

As the registered keeper of an untaxed vehicle, you could be fined a minimum of 1000. In addition to this, you will be required to purchase a tax disc, pay arrears of vehicle tax accrued whilst the vehicle was untaxed and pay a penalty of 80. The maximum penalty for making a false declaration by declaring SORN when the vehicle is actually used or kept on a public road is 5000 and two years imprisonment.

As well as this, you could find your vehicle wheelclamped by DVLA's wheelclamping contractor. You would be charged a fee to have your vehicle released and you would also have to produce a valid tax disc or surety fee. If you did not pay this within 24 hours, DVLA would impound your vehicle. If you did not pay the necessary release and storage fees, DVLA would get rid of your vehicle, generally by crushing it. Further information on DVLAs wheelclamping scheme can be found on the link below.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited