We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

Vehicle tax is due to expire while you are abroad

If you are going to be abroad when your tax disc is due to be renewed you may apply for a new disc up to two calendar months before the current disc expires. Applications can be taken or posted to a licence issuing Post OfficeŽ branches or a DVLA local office.

What you need to do

Applications must be made on a vehicle licence application form V10, available from Post OfficeŽ branches or a DVLA local office along with supporting documentation. If you are making a postal application you must also submit a letter explaining why you are applying to tax your vehicle so far in advance. If you have an address abroad, the tax disc can be sent to you there upon request.

Vehicle to be kept off road in the UK

If you are abroad when the tax disc expires and your vehicle is to be kept off the road in the UK, you tell DVLA by making a statutory off road notification (SORN). This can be done up to two calendar months before the tax disc expires using form V890, available for download (from our vehicle forms link) or from a main Post OfficeŽ branch or DVLA local office. If you cannot get a V890 you may write a letter. This should be sent to a DVLA local office.

Before you go

Remember to:

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited