We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

Vehicle tax for disabled people

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if your vehicle is used by, or for the purpose of the disabled person who receives the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA), or a war pensioners mobility supplement or you have an invalid carriage.

Restrictions on use of the vehicle

The exemption can only be claimed if the disabled person is travelling in the vehicle or the vehicle is being used for the direct purposes of the disabled person (for instance, getting prescriptions or shopping). If the vehicle is ever used for other purposes, the exemption is lost and the full cost of vehicle tax must be paid. There is no restriction on who may drive the vehicle on behalf of the disabled person as long as they are insured to do so.

Who can drive the vehicle?

If you are not a driver or do not own a vehicle it is possible to name a person to drive on your behalf (a nominee). The vehicle must be registered in your name or in the name of the nominee. If you have a nominee, the exemption certificate will show your name and that of the nominee.

Motability vehicles

It is a requirement of the contract that vehicles obtained on contract hire from Motability Finance Ltd are registered in the name of the person receiving the appropriate benefit. A nominee is therefore not included on the exemption certificate.

How to obtain an exemption certificate

If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance you should contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate DLA 404.

Disability and Carer Benefits Directorate
Disability and Carers Service
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill

Tel: 0845 712 3456

Hearing impaired Minicom users:

Tel: 0345 224 433

If you receive war pensioners mobility supplement you should contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate WPA 442.

Veterans Agency

Tel: 0800 169 2277

Hearing impaired Minicom users:

Tel: 0800 169 3458

How to obtain your free disabled tax disc

If you are successful in obtaining an exemption certificate, the following link explains you how to use it to obtain your free tax disc.

Extra rules about taxing your vehicle

Extra rules about the exemption certificate

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited