How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
Vehicle tax for disabled people
You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if your vehicle is used by, or for the purpose of the disabled person who receives the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA), or a war pensioners mobility supplement or you have an invalid carriage.
Restrictions on use of the vehicle
The exemption can only be claimed if the disabled person is travelling in the vehicle or the vehicle is being used for the direct purposes of the disabled person (for instance, getting prescriptions or shopping). If the vehicle is ever used for other purposes, the exemption is lost and the full cost of vehicle tax must be paid. There is no restriction on who may drive the vehicle on behalf of the disabled person as long as they are insured to do so.
Who can drive the vehicle?
If you are not a driver or do not own a vehicle it is possible to name a person to drive on your behalf (a nominee). The vehicle must be registered in your name or in the name of the nominee. If you have a nominee, the exemption certificate will show your name and that of the nominee.
It is a requirement of the contract that vehicles obtained on contract hire from Motability Finance Ltd are registered in the name of the person receiving the appropriate benefit. A nominee is therefore not included on the exemption certificate.
How to obtain an exemption certificate
If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance you should contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate DLA 404.
and Carer Benefits Directorate
Disability and Carers Service
Tel: 0845 712 3456
Hearing impaired Minicom users:
Tel: 0345 224 433
If you receive war pensioners mobility supplement you should contact the agency below and ask for exemption certificate WPA 442.
Tel: 0800 169 2277
Hearing impaired Minicom users:
Tel: 0800 169 3458
How to obtain your free disabled tax disc
If you are successful in obtaining an exemption certificate, the following link explains you how to use it to obtain your free tax disc.
Extra rules about taxing your vehicle
- exemption from paying for vehicle tax for disabled people can only be claimed for one vehicle at a time
- to tax additional vehicles you must pay vehicle tax
- if you hold a DLA404 and are in hospital for more than 28 days (84 for children), the exemption from VED still applies. The vehicle must continue to be used for your direct purposes
- if the vehicle is sold or your entitlement ends, you should return the exempt tax disc to DVLA, Swansea or to a DVLA local office
Extra rules about the exemption certificate
- an exemption certificate is only valid until the expiry date shown on it
- if the certificate has expired, is full, or has been lost, a replacement must be obtained from the Agency that issued the exemption certificate
- each time you apply for an exempt tax disc the entitlement certificate will be completed and stamped by the clerk at the issuing office
- when all sections on the certificate have been completed, you must apply immediately to the relevant Agency for a replacement to ensure a new certificate will be ready when the vehicle is next due to be licensed
- if any of your personal details change eg name or address you must return the certificate to the relevant Agency for amendment
- the certificate is not valid if any alterations are made to it
- if your entitlement ends, your certificate of entitlement should be returned to the relevant Agency