We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

Practical test


Reporting for your practical test

When attending for your practical test you must produce certain documents and have an appropriately insured and licensed vehicle suitable for the test. Make sure you have these documents available when the examiner calls your name.

At the driving test centre

You must bring the following items with you. If you do not, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) may refuse to carry out the test and you may lose your fee.

  • an appropriately insured and licensed vehicle, displaying L- Plates (except taxi and Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) part 2 tests), that is suitable for the purpose of the test
  • the appropriate theory test pass certificate (or confirmation) if you are not exempt
  •  your appointment letter
  • both parts of your photo card licence. If you do not take both parts of your licence your test will not take place and you will lose your fee
  • if you have an old-style paper licence, you must take your signed driver licence and separate approved photo identification with you
  • for a motorcycle test please remember to take your CBT certificate as well

If you misplace your licence, you must apply for a replacement from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), which could take up to 15 days. If this happens, you may have to re-arrange your test.

Photographic identification to accompany old-style driving licences

For photographic identification the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) will accept the following as long as they display your photograph and name or signature:

  • a passport
  • a gun licence
  • an employers identity card
  • a trade union card
  • cheque/credit card

A photograph of you is also acceptable as long as it has been signed and dated on the back by an "acceptable person". This must be accompanied with a statement from the acceptable person confirming in writing in the prescribed format (below) that the photograph is a true likeness of you.

"I (insert name of certifying officer) certify that this is a true likeness of (insert name of candidate) who has been known to me for (x) months/years in my capacity as (job title)."

An acceptable person may be:

  • an MP or JP
  • a solicitor or barrister 
  • a doctor 
  • a teacher 
  • a local councillor 
  • your licensing officer 
  • a bank official 
  • an established civil servant 
  • a police officer 
  • a minister of religion 
  • an approved driving instructor (not a trainee)

The acceptable person certifying the declaration must sign and date, stating their profession and telephone number - we may make enquiries of confirmation.


  • no licence
  • no photo
  • no test, and
  • you will lose your fee!

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited