We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
Reporting an untaxed vehicleThe DVLA wheelclamping schemeWhat if I do not tax my vehicle

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN) online

Reporting an untaxed vehicle

If you see a vehicle on the public road that appears to be untaxed, you can report it online, by telephone or by post. Your report will be investigated and the appropriate enforcement action taken if required.

The enforcement action of the police and DVLA against vehicle tax dodgers makes a significant contribution to road safety. About a third of motorists reported for evading paying vehicle tax are committing other offencesincluding no MOT certificate, no insurance and defective tyres. During 2003/04, 978,000 cases of vehicle tax evasion were successfully completed resulting in the recovery of around 114 million.

How you can help

To report a vehicle that appears to be untaxed, you will need to provide the following details. You can make your report anonymously if you wish.

Wherever possible, please provide:

What happens to your report

The information you provide can then be used for further investigations by an enforcement field officer, who will make a formal sighting of the vehicle and complete a witness statement. The appropriate enforcement action will be taken if required.

Make your report online

You can report an unlicensed vehicle online using the link below

Make your report by calling the national untaxed vehicles telephone hotline

You can make your report by telephoning the enforcement telephone hotline. The freephone number is 0800 0325 202.

Make your report by post

You can make your report in writing by sending the details to the Enforcement Section at any DVLA local office.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited