We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
Reporting an untaxed vehicleThe DVLA wheelclamping schemeWhat if I do not tax my vehicle

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN) online

How to tell DVLA your vehicle is off road (SORN)

If as the vehicle keeper you keep your vehicle off the public road because it is untaxed, you must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately. This is known as statutory off road notification (SORN).

You only need to declare SORN for a vehicle that had a tax in force on or after 31 January 1998. There is no charge for declaring SORN.

SORN declarations used to be valid for 12 months and had to be renewed, if the vehicle was kept off the road for a further period. Now you only have to declare the SORN once and you do not need to notify the DVLA until a change of circumstances.

What you need to do

You can make a SORN declaration from the 15th day of the month in which the vehicle tax or SORN declaration expires. Do not declare SORN if you have sold, scrapped, exported the vehicle or if the vehicle has been stolen.

You can declare SORN :

Forms V14 or V890 can be obtained by download from the vehicle forms link below or from any licence issuing Post OfficeŽ branch, or DVLA local office. Form V33 is available from a DVLA local office.

What happens next

Once you have made a SORN declaration you will be sent an acknowledgement letter within four weeks confirming the date you have taken the vehicle off the road. If you do not receive the acknowledgement letter after four weeks you must immediately contact DVLA customer enquiries group on 0870 240 0010.

What will happen if you do nothing?

A vehicle keeper who does nothing on receipt of a V11 or V85/1 may be liable to prosecution as will a vehicle keeper who declares SORN, but is then found to be using the vehicle on the road.

Keeping a new vehicle off road

The keeper of a new vehicle must also make a SORN declaration if they are going to keep the vehicle off the road untaxed. This can be done on the form V890 mentioned above.

When can an untaxed vehicle be used on a public road?

An untaxed vehicle cannot be used of kept on a public road.

There is one exception:

You can drive an untaxed vehicle on a public road to and from a pre-arranged:

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited