We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

Owning a Vehicle


How to register your old vehicle

If you want to register an old vehicle, you may be able to register it under its original mark. You will need to apply through a vehicle owners club who will pass your application to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for a new vehicle record to be set up.

Background information

In the early 1970s the DVLA began to computerise records of vehicles previously maintained by local vehicle taxation offices. This process involved the registration of new vehicles and the conversion of records already in circulation.

The computer record for old vehicles was closed in 1983 and vehicles which were undergoing restoration at that time were issued with letters from the DVLA. In 1990 rules were introduced which allowed vehicles to claim back their original mark, on a non-transferable basis. This means that you will not be able to transfer it or put it onto retention at a later date.

How to register your vehicle under its original number

To register a vehicle which is not recorded at the DVLA because it missed the 1983 deadline you will need to complete application form V765 available from your nearest DVLA local office or for download from our vehicle forms link below. Applications for original marks are considered in the first instance by vehicle enthusiasts clubs. A list of authorised clubs is set out on form V765/1 which is available from DVLA local offices or by download on our vehicle forms link below.

 To apply you should:

The application should be sent to a relevant authorised owners or enthusiasts club to be endorsed. You will not be obliged to join the club but you may be charged a fee for the service and the club may wish to inspect the vehicle.

What happens next

The endorsed application will then be forwarded to DVLA for processing and a V5C registration certificate will be issued. The original number will be allocated on a non-transferable basis. In cases where the original number was re-allocated by the local taxation office or transferred to another vehicle, DVLA will allocate another number appropriate to the age of the vehicle.

If this is a non-suffix or prefix number, it will also be non-transferable.

Further information

Further information on registering an old vehicle can be found on information leaflet INF848 How to register your old vehicle which is available from a DVLA local office.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited