We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to register a rebuilt, radically altered vehicle and kit car

If you are rebuilding or radically altering a vehicle, or building a vehicle from a kit, it will need to meet certain criteria before the vehicle is registered. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office will assign the original or an appropriate registration mark on the evidence provided.

Vehicle identity

Sometimes, however, a vehicle needs to be rebuilt and this can call the identity of the vehicle into question. Is it the original which has simply been repaired or have so many new or different parts been used in the rebuilding process that the original vehicle has been effectively broken up?   

 In allocating a registration mark to a rebuilt vehicle, the Agency's main interest is to establish whether or not the vehicle is newly constructed with no previously registered identity (in the present form). Vehicles, which have been substantially rebuilt, need to be examined by one of the DVLA local offices.

Vehicle identity check

A vehicle identity check (VIC) will apply to those vehicles notified to the DVLA as being written off on or after 7 April 2003. Any vehicle, which has failed VIC, will not be entitled to retain its original registration mark, DVLA local office will allocate a 'Q' registration mark and an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required.

If however, a VIC application is rejected by the Vehicle and Operators Services Agency, the DVLA local office will need to inspect the vehicle in order to allocate an alternative registration mark. An ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited