How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
How to exchange a tax disc
You will need to exchange your tax disc if you change the construction and or use of your vehicle, which affects the cost of vehicle tax you pay or which brings it into a different taxation class during the time left to run on the existing tax disc.
When to apply for an exchange of tax disc
You should apply for an exchange of tax disc if:
- you change the taxation class of your vehicle, (this does not apply to tax classes for which no vehicle tax is payable)
- certain vehicle details have changed (such as the cylinder capacity of a motorcycle, the weight of a goods vehicle or the seating capacity of a bus)
- you buy a used vehicle with a tax disc that does not cover your use of the vehicle
What you need to do
To apply you should complete form V70 which you can get from any Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office or for download from our vehicle forms link below.
You will need to produce the following documents:
- the registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C with any changes on it)
- a valid certificate of insurance or cover note (not the policy itself)
- a current test certificate (if one is needed)
- a plating certificate (if one is needed)
- a weight certificate (if one is needed)
- a certificate of initial fitness or certificate of conformity for the bus taxation class only (if one is needed)
- a reduced pollution certificate (if one is needed)
- written evidence if there has been a decrease in engine size or change of fuel which has resulted in a change to the cost of vehicle tax you pay
Payment of extra vehicle tax
If changes to your vehicle require you to pay extra vehicle tax, then the additional tax payable is calculated as being the difference between the old and new rates. Divide this by the period of the tax disc (12 or 6 months) multiplied by the number of months the exchange tax disc is to run. You can use a cheque, postal order, sterling travellers cheques, cash or vehicle licence stamps to make the extra payment.
If you change the construction or use of the vehicle which results in the payment of extra vehicle tax, it is an offence to use the vehicle before you tax it at the higher rate.The cost of vehicle tax
Take or send your documents and extra fee if required to a DVLA local office. Do not send the application to DVLA Swansea or a Post OfficeŽ branch.