We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

How to exchange a tax disc

You will need to exchange your tax disc if you change the construction and or use of your vehicle, which affects the cost of vehicle tax you pay or which brings it into a different taxation class during the time left to run on the existing tax disc.

When to apply for an exchange of tax disc

You should apply for an exchange of tax disc if:

What you need to do

To apply you should complete form V70 which you can get from any Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office or for download from our vehicle forms link below.

You will need to produce the following documents:

Payment of extra vehicle tax

If changes to your vehicle require you to pay extra vehicle tax, then the additional tax payable is calculated as being the difference between the old and new rates. Divide this by the period of the tax disc (12 or 6 months) multiplied by the number of months the exchange tax disc is to run. You can use a cheque, postal order, sterling travellers cheques, cash or vehicle licence stamps to make the extra payment.

If you change the construction or use of the vehicle which results in the payment of extra vehicle tax, it is an offence to use the vehicle before you tax it at the higher rate.

The cost of vehicle tax

Take or send your documents and extra fee if required to a DVLA local office. Do not send the application to DVLA Swansea or a Post OfficeŽ branch.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited