How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN
How to apply for a refund on your vehicle tax
You can claim
a refund of vehicle tax if you sell, scrap, export or take your vehicle off
the road. Refunds can only be paid if the tax has more than one complete month
to run before its expiry.
What you need to do
To claim a refund you will need to Click here to do it online.
Taking your vehicle off the road
If you are taking your vehicle off the road and keeping it, you can apply for a refund of vehicle tax and declare your vehicle off road (SORN) at the same time by completing the refund form. The notes on the forms will explain what to do. Send the V14 with the tax disc or the V33 to Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL. Do not send to a Post Office® branch.
How much refund will I get?
You can get a refund for each full month left to run on the tax at the time you apply for a refund.
The cost of a six month licence includes a 10 percent handling charge which DVLA do not include when they work out your refund.
What will happen next
The DVLA aim to deliver a refund within three weeks of receipt of the application. However, it may take up to six weeks to deliver a refund where:
- a vehicle has only recently been registered, taxed, involved in a transfer of a registration mark or transferred to a new keeper
- the vehicle tax class has changed to disabled
- the refund application is made by a third party
- the amount of refund is over £150
Please allow up to six weeks for the refund to arrive before contacting DVLA.
- a refund cannot be backdated
- no refund is payable for tax that has expired or which expires in less than on complete month
- no refund is payable in cases when the tax surrendered is void because the cheque used in payment has been subsequently dishonoured
- you must not apply for a refund if your vehicle is in the process of having its registration number transferred or retained