We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

Exemptions from paying vehicle tax

The law requires that vehicle tax should be paid for any vehicle used or kept on a public road in the UK. Certain vehicles are exempt from paying vehicle tax, however, these vehicles still require to be taxed annually and are issued with a nil or free tax disc.

How to obtain your free road tax

Applications for vehicles first being taxed as 'exempt' must be made at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office or Post OfficeŽ. The application must be made on a V10 accompanied by supporting documentation as listed in the link below. Future tax renewals can take place using the tax renewal reminder forms that will be sent by the DVLA.

Vehicles exempt from paying vehicle tax

The following are entitled to a free vehicle tax disc.

Vehicles for disabled people

Vehicles used by or for the purpose of a disabled person who receives the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA) or a war pensioners mobility supplement or who drives an invalid carriage.

Old vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 (historic vehicles)

All vehicles except buses and lorries used commercially, that were constructed before 1 January 1973 may tax in the 'historic vehicle' tax class.

Limited use vehicles

A vehicle is exempt if it is used solely for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry, it is used on public roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person and the distance it travels on public roads in passing between any two such areas, does not exceed 1.5 kilometres.

Agricultural machines

The "agricultural machine" tax class includes:

Mowing machines

The term "mowing machine" may be taken as a vehicle which is designed and constructed purely for cutting grass and which is used solely for that purpose (but not a tractor used to tow gang-mowers, which is to be licensed as agricultural machine).

Steam powered vehicles

All steam powered vehicles are exempt from paying vehicle excise duty (vehicle tax) from 1 April 2001.

Electrically propelled vehicles

The term "electrically propelled vehicle" means one where the electric motive power is derived from a source external to the vehicle or from any electric storage battery, which is not connected to a source of power, when the vehicle is in motion.

Electrically assisted pedal cycles

The exemption applies to vehicles that meet certain criteria specified in the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle Regulations 1983. These are that the vehicle must be fitted with pedals by means of which it is capable of being propelled and the kerbside weight must not exceed 40 kilograms (bicycles) or 60 kilograms (tricycles). The electric motor output must not exceed 0.2 kilowatts (0.25 kilowatts for tricycles) or be capable of propelling the vehicle when it is travelling at more than 15 miles per hour.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited