We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

Environmental vehicle tax for lorries and buses

To tackle the problem of traffic pollution, which damages the environment and health, the Government introduced vehicle tax incentives for drivers of larger vehicles and buses. Drivers can tax their vehicles in one of the reduced pollution taxation classes when they produce a valid reduced pollution certificate (RPC).

How to qualify

To be eligible, your vehicle must have been adapted to achieve a higher emission standard than the standard required by the EU Directive when the vehicle was manufactured. To achieve this standard, your vehicle must be fitted with either a 'particulate trap' to the exhaust system, or a new engine. You should note that as long as the vehicle tax lasts, the vehicle must continue to satisfy current reduced pollution standards.

How to get a RPC

To obtain a RPC you will have to contact your local Vehicle and Operators Services Agency (VOSA) testing station with the following information:

Arrangements will be made for your vehicle to be submitted for a physical examination to determine that it satisfies the reduced pollution standard or has the approved equipment installed.

How to tax a vehicle with an RPC

To tax your vehicle in the reduced pollution class for the first time, you will need to apply to a DVLA local office. You will need to make your application on vehicle tax application form V85 for lorries or V10 for buses. These must be accompanied by the original RPC and supporting documentation listed in the link below.

You will also need application form V14 to apply for a refund on the existing tax disc or alternatively, you can apply for an exchange tax disc using form V70.

Forms V85, V10, V14 and V70 are available for download from the forms link or at a DVLA local office. Form V10 is not available for download.

Future vehicle tax renewals will need to be made at a DVLA local office using renewal reminder forms V11 or V85, issued by the DVLA.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited