We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.


Driving larger goods vehicles (LGV) on a car driving licence

There are special licensing arrangements allowing you to drive larger vehicles without having to hold the higher large goods vehicle (LGV) driving licence entitlement. When driving larger vehicles, the maximum authorised mass (total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) determines the driving licence entitlement needed.

Maximum authorised mass

If the vehicle has a maximum authorised mass, which exceeds 3.5 tonnes, but not 7.5 tonnes then a category C1 licence is needed. If the maximum authorised mass exceeds 7.5 tonnes then a category C licence is needed.

Exempted large goods vehicles

Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the large vehicles listed below:

• goods vehicle propelled by steam eg large vehicles with coal or wood burning engines
• road construction vehicles used or kept on the road solely for the conveyance of built-in road construction machinery (with/without articles or materials used for the purpose of that machinery)
• engineering plant vehicles (designed/constructed for the purpose of engineering operations)
• works trucks (primarily designed for use in private premises or in the immediate vicinity eg dumper trucks/forklift trucks)
• industrial tractors (tractors used mainly for haulage work off the public road, the vehicle must not have an unladen weight exceeding 7370kgs and have a design speed not exceeding 20mph)
• agricultural motor vehicles which are not agricultural or forestry tractors (primarily used off the public road eg crop sprayer/combine harvester)
• digging machines (vehicles which are limited to travel on public roads only for the purpose of proceeding to/from sites - used for trench digging or any kind of excavating or shovelling work eg vehicles with digging buckets/shovels)
• goods vehicle which is not used on public roads or, if it is so used during any calendar week:

1 -is used only in passing from land in the occupation of a person keeping the vehicle to other land in the occupation of that person ii. is not used on public roads for distances exceeding an aggregate of 9.7 kilometres in that calendar week

2 - goods vehicle, other than an agricultural motor vehicle, which is used only for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry:

1 - is used on roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person
2 - in passing between any two such areas does not travel a distance exceeding 1.5 kilometres on roads

• goods vehicles used for no purpose other than the haulage of lifeboats and the conveyance of the necessary gear of the lifeboats which are being hauled
• goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer
• articulated goods vehicles not exceeding 3.05 tonnes unladen weight
• goods vehicle in the service of a visiting force or headquarters as defined in the visiting forces and international headquarters (application of law order 1965 (a))
• goods vehicle driven by a constable for the purpose of removing or avoiding obstruction to other road users or other members of the public, for the purpose of protecting life or property (including the vehicle and its load) or for other similar purposes
• goods vehicle fitted with apparatus designed for raising a disabled vehicle partly from the ground and for drawing a disabled vehicle when so raised (whether by partial superimposition or otherwise) being a vehicle which

1 - is used solely for dealing with disabled vehicles
2 - is not used for the conveyance of any goods or load other than a disabled vehicle when so raised and water, fuel, accumulators and articles required for the operation of, or in connection with, such apparatus or otherwise for dealing with disabled vehicles
3 - has an unladen weight not exceeding 3.05 tonnes

• mobile project vehicles - having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes and constructed/adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of

1 - play/educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment
2 - articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary Drivers must be aged 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years. A mobile project vehicle may only be driven on behalf of a non-commercial body. However, drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 are not subject to these conditions.

Mobile cranes

Category B licence holders were able to drive mobile cranes up until 31 December 1998. From 1 January 1999 a category C1 driving licence is required to drive a mobile crane weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes and category C if over 7.5 tonnes.

Minimum ages

Driving an exempted goods vehicle is determined by its weight. Vehicles with a maximum authorised mass weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes may be driven at age 18 years. Vehicles which weigh more than 7.5 tonnes can be driven from the age of 21 years.

How to add higher categories to your driving licence (staging and upgrading)

If you hold a full car driving licence (category B), it may be possible for you to apply for provisional entitlements in a higher category. There are also circumstances that will upgrade a lower category on your licence if you pass the driving test in a higher category.

If you passed your driving test on or after 1 January 1997 and you want to learn to drive a larger vehicle, you may be able to apply for the higher category. Once you have obtained provisional entitlement on your driving licence you can take the test in that category. For example, a driver must hold a full car licence (category B) before being able to apply for a provisional licence to drive a lorry, minibus or bus. This is known as staging and will apply from the smallest to the largest vehicles. The table below shows the full licence that needs to be held before you can apply for provisional entitlement in the higher categories.

If you pass your test for a larger vehicle category, in certain circumstances a lower category will be upgraded. This does not apply, however, to a driver who has already passed a test which involves trailer entitlement for a larger or equivalent vehicle. The table below provides an indication of the vehicle category held, the higher vehicle category that has been passed and the vehicle category that will be upgraded as a result of the test passed.

As a general guideline:

• lorry entitlements can upgrade bus entitlements
• bus entitlements can not upgrade lorry entitlements
• both lorry and bus entitlements can upgrade car entitlements

Apply for a provisional licence to drive lorries, buses or minibuses

Forms needed to apply for provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles If you hold a valid full category B paper driving licence and want to add provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles, minibuses and buses, you must complete application form D2 and medical report form D4.

The D4 form has to be completed by your doctor and all relevant questions must be answered.

Your doctor will normally charge you for completing the report. If you are registered for VAT, you will have to pay this at the current rate on top of your fee.

You must also return original documentation confirming your identity, as well as a passport-style colour photograph and your current category B paper driving licence.

There is no application fee. You will need to send your D2 and D4 forms, and the supporting documents, to:

SA99 1BR

You can use the Post Office checking service to make sure you have completed your application correctly.

For further information please see our guide: proof of identity and photographs you need when you apply for a driving licence.

What if I have a photocard driving licence?
If you hold a valid full photocard driving licence and want to apply for a provisional licence to drive larger vehicles, minibuses and buses, complete the application form D2 and medical report form D4.

Send these and your photocard driving licence, along with the D740 paper counterpart, to: DVLA

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited