We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to register your old vehicleHow to register your vehicleVehicle first registration feeRegistering an imported vehicleHow to notify DVLA if you sell your vehicleReplacing a lost or stolen registration certificateHow to notify DVLA if buy a new or used vehicleHow to register a rebuilt, radically altered vehicle

Changing your vehicle details on your registration certificate

If you make any changes to your vehicle or any of the details shown on your registration document or certificate are incorrect, eg colour, engine, fuel type (propulsion), cylinder capacity, seating capacity or weight of a goods vehicle, you must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

What you need to do

  • you should notify any changes or corrections by completing the 'changes section' on your vehicle registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C)
  • for changes other than those listed in the 'changes section', you should underline the details that have changed and write the new information next to them together with a covering letter explaining the changes
  • sign and date the declaration box
  • send the registration document or certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA

What happens next

The DVLA will aim to deliver a registration certificate to you within two to four weeks of receiving your application. However, please allow up to four weeks before contacting the DVLA.

Changes that may affect the cost of vehicle tax

The changes listed below may affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay and you may have to re-tax your vehicle at a DVLA local office. If your tax disc shows the old details, you should apply for an exchange licence on form V70. If you do not have a current tax disc you should apply for one on form V10, or form V85 for a heavy goods vehicle (HGV). Forms V70, V10 and V85 are available for download from the vehicles forms link below or DVLA local offices. The V10 and V85 are also available from Post OfficeŽ branches.

Changes to the cylinder capacity (engine size)

If there has been a decrease in your cylinder capacity that affects the rate of vehicle tax you pay, you must produce written evidence to the DVLA showing details of the new engine number and cylinder capacity (cc).

 Written evidence can be:

  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

If you increase the engine size you do not need to produce any evidence.

Changes to fuel type

The DVLA will need written confirmation of changes to fuel type for vehicles registered after 1 March 2001.

  • if your existing engine is converted, the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work
  • if a new engine is fitted, the receipt will be required as confirmation

Change to the number of seats on a bus

A change to the number of seats including the drivers seat may affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay.

Changes to the revenue weight for larger vehicles

For changes to the revenue weight you will need to produce a plating certificate or design weight certificate

Change of taxation class to disabled

If you change the tax class of your vehicle to disabled you will need to produce the appropriate exemption certificate.

Other changes

If you change any of the following, you must contact a DVLA local office, who will advise if your vehicle requires inspection by them:

  • wheel plan
  • body type
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • chassis number
  • frame number for motorcycles

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited