We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

How to tax your vehicleVehicle TAX ratesWhen and where to applyApply for a refund on your vehicle taxTaxing Vehicles OnlineDocument checklistHow to obtain a free disabled tax discVehicle tax expires while you are abroadDeclare SORN

Applying for a duplicate tax disc

If your tax disc has been lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged in some way, or if the colours on it have faded or the figures on it cannot be read, you must apply for a replacement (duplicate) tax disc without delay.

What you need to do

You must apply for a replacement tax disc by completing form V20 application for a duplicate licence. You will need to take or send this form with your V5 registration document or V5C registration certificate to your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office. Do not post your application to DVLA, Swansea as this will delay the issue of the replacement tax disc. If you have the original disc, you must enclose this with the application. You should also notify the police if the tax disc has been stolen.

How much will it cost?

The fee for a duplicate tax disc is £7 and is normally not refundable once the application is received at the DVLA local office. Under certain exceptional circumstances the fee is not payable, you will need to check with the DVLA local office about this.

What you need to do if you do not have a registration document or registration certificate

If you have also lost your registration document or certificate, you will need to complete form V62 (application for a registration certificatefee applicable).

If you have recently purchased the vehicle and you have the new keepers supplement (V5/2 or V5C/2), you may use it in place of form V62. However, a V5/2 or V5C/2 is only valid for two months after you acquire a vehicle while you are waiting to receive a new registration certificate.

When you will receive the tax disc

Provided DVLA records show you as the current keeper of the vehicle and it is currently taxed, a replacement tax disc marked Duplicate will be issued immediately. Otherwise, the DVLA local office will hold the application until the vehicle records have updated. However, if the DVLA local office is satisfied that a current tax disc has been purchased it may be possible to issue a temporary replacement tax disc valid for up to eight weeks. Once DVLA records have updated a full duplicate will be issued.

What to do when you receive the replacement disc

You will need to:

Remember, once a duplicate tax disc is issued, the original is no longer valid.

Where you can obtain form V20 and V62

Forms V20 and V62 are available for download from the vehicle forms link or from any licence issuing Post Office® or DVLA local office.

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited