We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information.

Business parking permits

Business parking permits are available to anyone who works at a business address within one of other zones and entitles the permit holder to park in a parking bay in the area covered by their permit (zone).

Charity permits are available to anyone working at a registered charity which has an address within one of our zones and entitles the permit holder to park in a parking bay in the area covered by their permit (zone) .

The permits are not valid in market traders bays (MT) or catering bays (CAT) and can only be used in the zone they were issued.

Waltham Forest Council introduced essential user permits in January 2004. These permits are available to anyone from the Fire and Police forces, the Health Authority and Council officers who use a vehicle for essential business use within the borough's boundaries.

Permits can only be issued to vehicles that do not exceed 2.3 metres in height or 5.25 metres in length.

The essential user permits are vehicle specific and are valid for use in:

• Voucher parking bays
• Pay and display bays (on street)
• Free parking bays (i.e. 30 minute bays)
• Pay and display car parks (not those affiliated to council buildings)
• All permit parking bays with the exception of those reserved for doctors, catering staff (CAT) and market traders (MT)

Application process

Applications for the essential user permits must be supported by documentary proof of employment within the specific service (letter on headed paper). An application form must be completed and signed by the permit user and there is a section to be signed by a Senior Officer who must state why the permit is required, invalid application or permit misuse would result in the permit being revoked without notice.

Permits are single vehicle specific and not transferable between vehicles.

Parking services

If you use vehicles as part of your business and are situated in a controlled parking zone, you may need to apply to your local authority for a business parking permit.

Such permits are often only issued to businesses that need a vehicle to run efficiently - a van for deliveries, for example. They're not intended for people who simply drive to and from work.

As a result, a common condition of permits is that the vehicle must be moved frequently throughout the day.

Permits may vary in what they allow you to do. They may:

• provide a dedicated parking bay for your business
• allow you to park in the controlled parking zone in which your business is situated - though there's no guarantee of a space being available
• allow you to park in any controlled parking zone in the local authority's area, subject to a space being available

Your local authority's parking unit will be able to tell you about the types of business parking permits available in your area and how much they cost.

You'll also need to contact your local parking unit if you have any queries relating to the management of parking spaces, the enforcement of new street parking arrangements or parking fines.

You should also approach your local authority if you believe that traffic engineering and different parking provisions affecting your customers would be helpful to you and other businesses.

Who's responsible for parking

Local traffic authorities (usually local councils) together with private companies are responsible for managing parking.

Managing parking involves:

• creating parking spaces
• operating car parks
• creating controlled parking zones – where parking may be reserved for permit holders or restricted to certain times of day

Who enforces parking regulations

Who enforces parking regulations depends on where you live. In many areas, including London, local authorities have the power to enforce parking restrictions. In others, parking is a criminal matter, enforced by the police and dealt with through the magistrates' courts.

Parking restrictions

You must pay for parking in most controlled parking zones and car parks. Parking without paying or exceeding the period allowed means you may be issued with a penalty fine.

There are two types of parking controls:

• restrictive parking – for waiting and loading only
• designated parking – identifies where vehicles can be left and under what conditions and includes residential parking zones

There are also areas where parking or waiting is banned:

• double yellow lines – parking is banned, although there may be specific exceptions for loading
•single yellow lines – parking is banned at specified times
• red routes – a single red line usually bans stopping and parking during working hours, while a double red line bans stopping and parking at any time

Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Google+        © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited