legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information

Your legal guide to motoring

Owning a Vehicle


How to remove expired endorsements from your driving licence

If you want to remove any expired endorsements from your driving licence eg penalty points for speeding, then you must apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) using the relevant application form and fee.

Removing expired endorsements

If you are a paper driving licence holder you must complete the D1 application form ensuring that all the relevant questions are answered. You will need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph, your current driving licence and enclose the appropriate fee.

If you are a photocard driving licence holder you will only need to complete the D1 application form and enclose both your photocard licence and D740 paper counterpart together with the appropriate fee.

If your name has changed since your photocard licence was issued, you must also enclose original documentation confirming your new name. There is no requirement to supply a new photograph.

Where to send your completed application forms

Send your completed application with your paper driving licence or photocard driving licence with the D740 paper counterpart to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AB or you may be able to use the Post Office® checking service.

DVLA aim to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It might take longer if we have to check on your health or personal details. Please allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Can I drive before my licence is returned?

Once DVLA have received your valid application, the law allows you to drive before you receive your driving licence as long as:

  • you have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • you are not disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
  • you have not been, and would not be, refused a licence for medical reasons
  • you keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence
Mobile Site | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Google+       Copyright © 2004 - 2013 All rights reserved