Legal guide to UK motoring, sections for law enforcement, Driver licensing, learner and new drivers, buying and selling, speeding fines, owning a vehicle, wheel clamping, traffic information

Your legal guide to motoring

Duplicate driving licence, replacing if lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed

You must replace your driving licence if it has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed. You can do this by telephone, by post, or you may be able to use the Post Office® checking service.

How to apply for duplicate photocard driving licence by phone

Provided the details on your photocard driving licence have not changed or are not incorrect, you can apply for a duplicate licence by telephone using a credit or debit card.The fee for a duplicate licence is £19.00. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) accepts Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard and Maestro. To use this service ring 0870 240 0009, Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 8.30 pm or Saturday 8.00 am - 5.30 pm.

How to apply for a duplicate photocard driving licence by application form

You can also apply for a duplicate photocard driving licence using the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches. Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

If your name has changed since your last licence was issued you will need to complete the D1 application form enclose the appropriate fee and provide original documentation confirming your new name. There is no requirement to supply a new photograph.

If either part of your photocard driving licence has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed ie your photocard or D740 paper counterpart, you must apply for a duplicate driving licence using the D1 and return the remaining part with your application. If your licence is defaced you must return it with your application.

If you are the holder of a paper driving licence

If your paper driving licence has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed, you must complete the D1 application form. You must also enclose original documentation confirming your identity and a passport-type size colour photograph. If your paper licence has been defaced this must also be returned. Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB or you may be able to use the Post Office® checking service.

If you find your licence after requesting or receiving your new duplicate photocard driving licence you should return the old licence to the agency with an explanatory letter.

Can I drive before my licence is returned?

Once the DVLA have received your valid application, the law allows you to drive before the licence arrives as long as:

  • you have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • you are not disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
  • you have not been, and would not be, refused a licence for medical reasons
  • you keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Plastic wallets

Please note that DVLA no longer issues plastic wallets with photocard driving licences. This decision was taken primarily to help minimise the costs of issuing licences to the public. The agency has also received numerous complaints from members of the public about the size of the plastic wallet. Consequently many drivers discard the wallet and use a different way of protecting their licence. Old plastic wallets sent in to the agency cannot be returned.

Why Check the history of your car?
So why do I need to check the history of my car? Well basically so that you know that it is actually your car. 375,000 cars are stolen each year. Many get sold on to unsuspecting buyers. If you are one of them you will have to give the car back to its rightful owner and the crook that sold it to you will be long gone with your cash.

1 in 12 cars checked by the trade last year showed mileage discrepencies. You could buy car that is worth a fraction of what you pay for it.

Over 450,000 cars are 'written-off' by insurers anually because of accident damage. Many are written off because the insurance company deem it incapable of safe repair. Make sure that you don't buy the one thats been sneaked back on the road again.

Also make sure that there is no outstanding finance on your car.



Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Google+       Copyright © 2004 - 2013 All rights reserved